Tuesday, June 2, 2009

An Indian Wedding

Taken from my journal for school.

----

About a week before the ceremony was to take place I was volunteered to play the role of official wedding photographer for a wedding at my church. Though I would rather have been asked, I was thrilled with the opportunity. With our project published and only minor in-house projects to do, I was able to take off early from work the last two days of the week to meet with the family of the bride and capture some traditional Garhwali pre-wedding rituals.
Thursday I was asked to meet the family and take pictures of a “Haldi” ceremony in which the bride is covered from head to toe with this yellowish cream in order to make her skin fairer. Interesting how most in the west seem always to try to darken their skin with tanning and creams, but here there is a fascination for paler skin. I suppose the grass is always greener on the other side. I was told to come at 6:00 and like a good, timely Westerner I was there at 5:55. I was the first to arrive. Unfortunately, I was also the only to arrive for the next hour or so. The guests (and the bride) finally showed up and the party started around 7:30, so I enjoyed a couple cups of chai with the parents of the bride. When the Haldi began, it was utter chaos. Dozens of hands reached into the yellow cream and spread it over the bride’s face, arms and legs, and then all over one another! The night ended with dinner and dancing (to the same song over and over again).
Friday I was invited to document the “Henna” ceremony, where the bride’s arms are covered with beautiful patterns with another cream that leaves a temporary tattoo. I learned from my mistake in showing up early, though evidently not well enough. This time the event didn’t start until 8:30! At least the company was fun. While the bride and younger cousins were having the henna done, everyone else danced (again to the same song).
Finally the wedding day arrived. Figuring such an important event would inspire a greater sense of urgency and promptness, I showed up right on time. I was to take pictures of the bride and her family, all dressed up and ready before the wedding ceremony. Ha! Finally, with some 20 minutes before the wedding, I was given five minutes to take some shots. In hindsight, they could have given me that hour anyway, as the groom and his family (crammed like sardines into two vehicles) arrived more than an hour late! The ceremony began and I nervously clicked through the processions and proceedings, not wanting to miss an important moment. Cake was cut, food was served, and dancing ensued (again to the same song). As with the Easter picnic, I danced too of course. Despite the hiccups and the lateness and the repetitive music, the event was an exciting and fun time. It was truly a highlight of this whole experience.

No comments: