Monday, June 8, 2009

Birthday in India

Yesterday, June 7, was my 22nd birthday, or 23rd if you are Indian I think. 'Twas great fun!

I slept in and nearly missed church. I felt terrible, but not enough to miss church. Church was packed with guests from Indiana. It was hot and stuffy and I rushed out for fresh air as soon as it was over. Not the best start to my birthday, feeling so weird and all.

My eMi friends who were still around took me to Clocktower Cafe, my favorite eatery, for lunch. I ordered a plate of spaghetti (yum). Ivy made me a handmade card with lots of encouraging notes in it and Ed gave me a framed picture from our first project trip - me surrounded by kids playing with my camera. I coulda cried, but men don't do such things. It makes it hard to see and punch things accurately.

After stuffed full, we walked back to Tipp and I sat and read some more Narnia. In two days I flew through Prince Caspian and the Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I'll be done with the Silver Chair tonight I suppose. We helped out our neighbor moving big heavy trunks and dressers and such. Didn't make me feel very good. But it was a good workout.

The guys left for a while and we were to meet back up for cake - CHEESECAKE! - later. The time passed and neither friends nor cake were present. But I kept reading. Ivy showed up and kept me company and we had a delightful conversation (we've had a few of those lately). As soon as she picked up her phone to call about the cake, it showed up. Not soon later, the guys were all around and the party began.

For the first time in a long time (or at least I think it was a long time) I blew out a candle on a cake. I had to share it (the two candles) with Ryan (as his birthday is in a week or so), but I suppose there are worse people to do such things with. More warm and fuzzies. Ryan busted out some blueberry jam and the cheesecake tasted like heaven.

Night fell and us interns headed "downtown" to meet more friends and shoot pool. We reminisced about birthdays along the way. The long walk wasn't a bother at all.

We found the hole-in-the-wall pool hall and played till our friends came - and played some more. I impressed with one or two great streaks but was overall pretty mediocre.

Management finally kicked us out about 11pm and we meandered back through the Mall (Mall road that is). We stopped at an arcade and played a game of intense air hockey. Ko and I held on to our lead in an exciting finish.

We grabbed gulab jamin (like a donut hole soaked in syrup) and headed back up to Tipp, being silly. Halfway up, when some of our friends split off, they broke into song: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU...! Like cats on a fence in the cartoons I was sure someone would throw a shoe at them. But it was great.

You know that phrase we use all too liberally, "I'll never forget this"? Well, I've said that countless times to events I've undoubtedly forgotten over the years, but I can't help but think this time its true. I'll never forget my birthday in India.

Another thing I just remembered. A lot of Christians around here, especially those born in the villages, don't know their real birthdays. So you know what they usually prefer to use and celebrate? Their baptism. How cool is that. Now that's a real birthday!

No comments: