Sunday, January 25, 2009

Worship in Mussoorie

So this morning we walked a few kilometers to Community of Nations Church to worship. Not your average church. I don't even know where to begin.

We entered a long room full of locals - chairs spread out around a worship area. A simple overhead projector with transparencies displayed the lyrics. The worship team were three young women singers, two guitarists, a drummer and a bassist. We took our seats and soon worship began.

Our first song was in English. I forget the name and I didn't recognize the words, but the last verse we sang in Hindi! I was standing in a room full of Indian followers of Christ - praising God in Hindi! The music was upbeat and rockin' and I have no idea what we were singing but I could feel God moving in the place as men and women cried out to the ONE TRUE GOD! Amazing. During prayer, I could hear people praying for healing, for peace, for reconciliation - some in English, some in Hindi. Some were dancing for joy as we sang, others prostrate on the ground before the Lord. It was intimidating at first but I knew that God has done a great work in the people around me.

As people were moved, they prayed out loud their prayers. One man shared a vision of a cage full of birds. They flew around and knew not of the outside. And when a man came to let them out, some were too afraid to leave. And he shared the verse of how Jesus asks us to lay our burdens upon Him - our worry and fear, our insecurities. I swear to you in that moment I was asking God for peace and thinking of that exact verse and when he shared it aloud I wept in amazement! I felt God really moving in my heart and in the entire service.

A woman stood up to deliver the message. Another man stood up to translate. She shared a very passionate message about how God asks us to forgive others. She shared the verse about how IF we forgive others, THEN God will forgive us. She talked of how Christ died for us though we had sinned against Him. It was so amazing.

Got to run and have chai with a new friend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Harry...sounds amazing man. I'm glad that God is moving in India and that you're experiencing everything that He has done. I also attended my first church service here in Uganda, and it was different as well. God bless you, Harry...

Unknown said...

Harry, I don't think you and your friends will have to worry about coming back the same!:) What an adventure! Blessings to you!