Friday, January 23, 2009

Holy Cow I'm in India!

Greetings everyone from Mussoorie, Uttarakhand, India!

We arrived in Delhi Tuesday evening to a dark and strange world. People were everywhere and it was so foreign to me. Cars and people inches apart. Weaving through traffic blaring your horn. Tiny vehicles and mopeds all over.

We stayed at the Cottage Yes Please in a dark and sketchy part of town (sketchy to me). Stray dogs everywhere. Homeless and destitute. But we got into our small rooms fine and Ko and I laughed at how crazy it all is. Goodbye flushing toilet paper. Goodbye showers (bucket baths all the way!)

The next morning we were up by 5:30 and in a cab on the way to the train station by 6. We lugged way too much stuff up and down way too many stairs. Lots of strange people (who woulda guessed). We got on a sketchy looking train and were soon off for a 6 hour ride to Dehradun. We were served breakfast and lunch and it was delicious! Looking out the window we saw slum after slum and wastelands and then finally sugar cane and mustard plants and scattered villages. And finally mountains!

We got out at Dehradun at the foot of the foothills and took an hour cab up the mountain. Crazy! Shoulda feared for my life but it was soooooooooooooooooo beautiful! Tiny cars and motorcycles SPEEDING up and down the tiny road with hair pin turns and shear cliff drops. Awesome! We arrived safe and sound at Oaklands and saw the Himalayas and the Great Plains of India by simply turning around. Beautiful.

More to come.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so crazy. I hope you have a ton of fun

Anonymous said...

Harry...glad to hear you made it to India safely. I'll be praying for you buddy. Keep me up-to-date :)

Anonymous said...

ya'll stay safe, do good and be light!!!
I love the title... how appropriate, don't you think!!!

Anonymous said...

AHAHA I just got the title.