Friday, January 23, 2009

Blogging on the Plane

5:55 PM Delhi Time
I can't believe on halfway around the world and nearly in India. We left Colorado Springs for Denver International Airport around 8:40 AM Monday morning. Said my goodbyes to Nick and everyone that I had met at orientation and arrived at DIA to find out that our flight to Newark was delayed an hour. No big deal, we had a three hour layover in in Newark anyways. We board the plane about 12:45 or so and don't leave until 1:45. I met an interesting man on the plane who works as a civil engineer for the New Jersey department of transportation. Intersection design. It was actually quite interesting. I also learned nearly everything else about his life - his kids, his skiing, he's been playing Ultimate Frisbee for 25 yrs. You know, the basics. The 3.5 hr flight was spent talking with him for proabably 3 of them. Tiring.

We got to Newark with about an hour before the flight. By the time we got our food we were being paged to our flight! I was actually in the restroom when I heard in a very distinctly Indian woman's voice "Edwing Chee-ang and Hah-rissun Stay-ab, and Matther Per-ko-lap to Gate C121, your plane will be leaving shortly." Uh-oh. Ran out of the restroom and saw Edwin hobbling down the terminal with our really heavy Total Station (surveying equipment) and my carryons. We weren't the last to board, but no more than 3 minutes after we sat down they had pushed off from the terminal and our plane waited in line to be de-iced.

We flew on a big 777-200. Biggest plane I've been on I think. Very sleek and comfortable. Each seat had built in entertainment screens that you could watch hundreds of movies on demand. Pretty cool. So I watched Election for the first time and tried to recognize all the scenes (it was filmed in Papillion).

I'm really excited to be on this adventure but now it feels even bigger than I thought. I've been flying nearly 6000 miles since Newark and we still have another 1800 to go. I thought the world was a small place! I feel so far away from home. I miss Kelly.

The week was amazing getting to know everyone who will be involved all over the world with EMI. I've never been around so many people so passionate about the Truth. I wish them all the best and I hope God does amazing things these next 6 months. As I told Nick after prayer Sunday night, "Don't you dare come back the same."

Thank you everyone for all of your support and I look forward to sharing my stories.

No comments: