Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Reflection of the Past Month

I have flown halfway around the world on an adventure filled with great anticipation and uncertainty to experience a new culture and see God’s hand at work in India. Words cannot express how amazing this experience has been. I’ve seen great beauty in ancient ruins, in the colorful dress, and breathtaking scenery. I’ve seen the ugliness of trash-ridden streets, poor and dirty children begging for money, seen just a glimpse of caste and the plight of some 200 million Dalit. I’ve looked into the eyes of beggars and turned away in frustration and helplessness. I’ve seen the gratitude in a cripple’s eye for 10 rupees (20 cents). I’ve peeked into temples and seen ancient ruins to gods who have no power and offer no hope. I’ve learned how laughter and a smile is understood regardless of language. I’ve seen the wealth of a rising industrial nation and the shameful poverty and living conditions of a culture where most see it as Karma – people living the life the deserve from past sin. I saw Slumdog Millionaire at the Regal Theatre in Mumbai, the city where it was filmed. I’ve seen from a distance the miles and miles of slums that envelope the city.

I’ve ridden sleeper class in a railcar double-booked. I’ve seen Mumbai, Delhi, and soon Lucknow. I’ve hiked three big hills and the Himalayas await on our planned trek in late March. I’ve had chai with random shopkeepers. I’ve played hackie sack with dozens of schoolboys in Mussoorie. I’ve learned how to squat. My calves are iron from walking up and down the hill to work. I’m picking up little Hindi phrases here and there. I’ve decided 9-5 is a vacation compared to studio!

I came here looking for a great adventure and figuring God would teach me something new too. Already I can see him showing me the great honor and adventure in following Him with all of my heart. It has been such a blessing to be surrounded by so many godly men and women – foreigners and Indians – whose sole desire is to see God move in this country. To have quiet time every single day. To pray with people who know and have seen its effectiveness. To be free from distraction and to have rest. He’s opening my eyes to the world. Seems it’s a bit bigger than the pocket sized box I carried in my head. I can tell He is just getting started.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen Harry. God is truly doing fantastic things in you and the people around you. I cannot wait to hear what he does in the next five months.

With love,
~Nick